Search waterheatertimer.org / all results
|How to check gas pressure on water heater|
gas pressure on water heater:
Watch what appliances do when adding load. If appliances stop working correctly when another gas appliance is activated, it implies low gas pressure. This observation can be done without equipment.
Check rating plate (label) located on side of water heater for gas pressure rating
Typically, a propane heater will be higher than natural gas.
Line pressure is pressure on incoming gas line. Label shows max inlet or line pressure as 14.0" w.c.
Manifold pressure is gas pressure from gas control valve to burner. Label shows 4.0" w.c. to 5.0" w.c. for manifold pressure.
"The Gas Control is designed for a maximum line pressure of 14.0" w.c. and a minimum line pressure of 1.0" w.c. over the water heater’s rated manifold pressure.
Line pressure must be checked with the main burner on and off to assure proper readings."
If the burner and/or pilot do not function, service checks for gas pressure, thermocouple output, magnet assembly and ECO are to be performed. If these check OK, the gas valve may be faulty."
"MANIFOLD PRESSURE TESTING
(this procedure assumes a maximum line pressure of 14.0" w.c.)
Step 1. Set gas valve to “OFF” position.
Step 2. Remove pressure tap plug located on the bottom of gas control valve (or side of Intellivent gas valve) and install pressure tap.How to check gas pressure on water heater
Step 3. Connect manometer to pressure tap.
Step 4 Follow lighting instructions and light main burner and observe manometer reading.
Step 5 Proper operating range for natural gas is 4.0 ±0.5" W.C. For intellivent 3.5 to 4.0" W.C.
Proper operating range for L.P. gas is 10.0 ±0.5" W.C.
Step 6 If pressure is OK, set gas valve to “OFF” remove manometer and pressure tap and replace pressure tap plug. Check for gas leaks before placing water heater back in operation. If pressure is out of the specification noted in step 5, proceed to step 7 or 8 for proper service procedure.
Image above shows Honeywell gas control valve
For Honeywell electronic and White Rodgers Intellivent control, the manifold pressure is not adjustable. If manifold pressure is outside the range in step 5, the gas control valve must be replaced.
For White Rodgers mechanical control, the manifold pressure is not adjustable. If manifold pressure is outside the range in step 5, the gas control valve must be replaced.
For Robertshaw mechanical control, the manifold pressure is adjustable, proceed to step 7 for adjustment procedure
Step 7 While burner is in operation, remove regulator access cap to expose the regulator adjusting screw. With small screw driver, rotate adjusting screw clockwise to increase pressure and counter clockwise to decrease pressure.
Step 8 Replace regulator access cap, set gas valve to “OFF”. Remove manometer and pressure tap and replace pressure tap plug. Check for gas leaks before placing water heater back in operation."
Bradford white service manual Pg 15
Intellivent service manual
Resources: White Rodgers, Robert Shaw, Wiper gas valve resources
Resources:: Honeywell and Intellivent gas control manuals
|What you need for
operation of gas water heater.
1) Basic parts and operation
2) Adequate incoming air supply ... issues: closed doors, tightly insulated house, very hot attic.
3) Adequate air supply getting to burner... issues: dirty vent screen, dirty environment, maintenance.
4) Thermal cutoff ... TCO ... issues: failed part, maintenance, vent.
5) Flammable vapor lockout .... issues: exposure to vapors, bad FV sensor, failed FV system,
6) Fuel supply to gas valve thermostat ... natural gas and propane are different ... issues: wrong gas, low pressure, moisture in pipe, undersized gas meter, supply line too small for BTU rating.
7) Gas valve thermostat regulates fuel supply ... issues: not enough gas, failed thermostat, failed gas control valve.
8) Fuel supply from thermostat to burner ... issues: maintenance, thermocouple-thermopile, gas control valve.
9) Clean and replace burner ... issue: periodic maintenance requires burner inspection, cleaning, and possible replacement
10) Functioning thermopile-thermocouple-pilot light ... issues: misalignment, failure of part.
11) Ignition of fuel supply by pilot light or hot surface igniter ... issues: pilot light, piezo igniter, electrode.
12) Power vent water heater troubleshoot ... issues: pressure switch, blower, blower sequence from gas control, outlet polarity
13) Venting combustion byproduct .... issues: vent in disrepair, other vents in house drawing air
14) Misc troubleshoot manuals
|Gas water heater timer
Fits Honeywell, White Rodgers, Robert Shaw
Both Propane and Natural gas models
Gas water heater timer
Buy water heaters from my associate links:
50 gallon Gas water heaters at Amazon
40 gallon gas water heaters at Amazon
50 gallon Electric water heaters at Amazon
40 gallon electric water heaters at Amazon
Hybrid / heat pump/ water heaters at Amazon
How to install gas water heater
How to install electric water heater
Troubleshoot gas water heater
Troubleshoot electric water heater
Point of use water heaters
Tools and home improvement
Home and garden
Black and Decker
Irwin Hand tools
Klein hand tools
Fluke electrical testing
Dremel hobby tools
Campbell Hausfeld air powered
Saws and saw blades
Compare box timers
Control water heater w/ Z-wave
Intermatic control centers: and parts
Digital control centers and parts
Tork control centers and parts
All control centers and parts
Off delay timers
On delay timers
Twin & one-shot
|Enter Amazon from
My response might end up in spam folder, check email folders
Waterheatertimer on Twitter